Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Introduction!

Hey! So this is my first blog post as a sister of a social Greek sorority. I'm going to be posting a lot of my opinions/suggestions/stories on here because I never get a chance to tell them to PNMs.

My name is Erin and I am a member of an NPC sorority and I LOVE it!!!!! Even though I was only initiated in April of this year, my time with my sisters has already been SO meaningful:)

Tonight I just want to give a little overview of Greek life and what it's REALLY like.

Let me just clear up a few things first:
1) It's NOTHING like the show Greek.
2) It's NOTHING like the movie Sorority Wars.
3) Hollywood can not interpret what the real meaning of being Greek is for some reason.

Now that we got that out of the way, here we go. You'll hear people say that they joined their organization for many different reasons. Some are looking for alumni connections after graduation, some go Greek to try and leave their mark at their university, some join because their families "highly encourage" it (force them to). And then there are people like me.

I'm not  going to bore you with the long drawn out story of my travels in the Greek (and non-Greek) community at my school, however I will tell you that I have been a member (and almost member) of many different organizations on my school's campus. Some organizations have been fantastic to be a part of, but only while we are meeting. Outside of our meeting times, no one wants to have anything to do with me. I have had organizations flat out tell me they didn't want me in them. So, after being rejected and ignored many times, I met my sisters. It wasn't during rush, it wasn't at a recruitment party, it wasn't even in a building. I met my sisters while I was standing on the side of the road crying. Obviously this was before I was even a New Member, but looking back right then was when I knew that these women were going to be my true friends and not let me stand on the side of a road and cry. I was needing friends, I was needing a family. I found what I was looking for in each and every girl that comforted me that night. I probably haven't told them enough how much that meant to me. It still means a lot.

Life is funny how things start to fall into place. I pretty much found out that every person I was calling "friend" was nothing more than an acquaintance. They were just people that I knew. They didn't speak to me, they didn't lift me up when I was down. Most of the time that would kick me when I was down. My experience with Greek life has probably been one of the most abnormal experiences of all, but hey I wouldn't trade my sisters for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment