Saturday, January 3, 2015

#MarchOnRome

If you HAVEN'T seen what Jim Rome tweeted about band kids, let me enlighten you. During halftime at the Rose Bowl, Jim Rome, a "sports commentator," decided that he would take to Twitter to take a shot at band students everywhere.
Let's break this down real quick. First off, I assume he's talking about college musicians. Many of which were probably receiving a scholarship (the collegiate equivalent of being paid) to play their instruments. Which would make them professionals in the performance industry. So he is referring to professional performers as 'dorks.'

 Secondly, marching band students do NOT just 'run around with their instruments.' I was in marching band for 8 years and the only reason I quit is because I graduated. Marching band is not only an art, it is a sport. As a high school marching band student, my band had 8-3:30 practices. In college we rehearsed from 8-8. In both programs I practiced every single day. I know there are programs out there that actually practice more (and less) but the fact of the matter is, people go out and take the time to perfect this craft, and saying they "run around with their instruments" is highly offensive.

Third, an adult with a high profile job should not be classifying anyone as 'cool' or asking if someone is cool or not. What is defined as cool? Who defines cool? Should Jim Rome be defining cool? I honestly can't answer any of these questions because I don't believe in cool/uncool. 

BUT HOLD THE PHONE! Jim Rome tweeted a retraction. I refuse to acknowledge this as an apology after reading a fantastic blog
Writing the words 'I apologize' didn't matter as soon as he added 'I do not condone bullying of any kind and that was not my intent.' But he said he apologizes! But if bullying wasn't his intent, WHAT WAS?! The blog post I linked above addressed exactly what this is, alpha dog behavior to make anyone not an athlete feel like lesser of a person. Jim Rome's initial tweet was, by definition, cyberbullying. His retraction was nothing more than a ploy to save him from being fired. Think what you may want about band students, or what you want about Jim Rome, but this is my opinion and my take on this whole situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment