Thursday, September 24, 2015

She Wasn't My Number One, But She Was the Best for Me

With big little season approaching for my chapter, I feel as though I should give some wisdom, from alumna to new member. We all know how it works, bigs rank littles and littles rank bigs, then they're matched as best as possible. But what if you aren't matched with your number one?

Well, I was a new member once. My whole new member process was weird because four of us (in my pledge class of six) received extremely late bids. Two girls already had their bigs when we had big/little mixer. There were four active sisters taking littles. When I had received my bid, I told a girl that I had known for a few years that I wanted her to be my big, but she wasn't taking a little. However, her little was taking a little! That got me excited, BUT there was another girl that I knew outside of the sorority that I also wanted. So, after mixer I ranked the four actives. Paige (my big) was my number two choice. I wondered for a week who my big would be.

My big little reveal was amazing because we popped balloons scattered around the chapter room (we don't have houses). When I found a paper from a balloon that said that Paige was my big, I screamed and ran to her and hugged her. She was my number two, but now she was my big and none of the ranking mattered. But, why do I say she was the best for me?

After being initiated, that other girl, my number one, left school. She didn't drop her letters because she transferred schools, but she left. The girl that got her as a big decided to adopt a different big so that she would have someone there. Paige and I had four wonderful semesters together and we even graduated on the same day.

Sometimes what you WANT isn't what's BEST for you. Paige and I actually see each other at least once a week since we work in the same town. We're considering opening a business together AND I wouldn't have the most perfect twin without her. When your reveal happens, don't be disappointed if you have your number two. She may have been number two on your paper, but if you keep your mind open, she'll be number one in your heart. I am a big believer that everything happens for a reason, and you get that big because she is what you need.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment